Monday, August 04, 2008

Derby

I've lived in Australia for a little over a year now and one of the things I've learned (or get taught a lot about) is Australian Football. Both my housemates are passionate about their teams, although both their teams are near the bottom of the ladder anyway. Passionate enough though that they actually have arguments on whose team sucks more.


There are two teams based here in Perth: the Fremantle Dockers and the West Coast Eagles, which happen to be the teams my housemates support. So when the two teams meet, it's kinda crazy because people here are divided in support of these teams. This game is called the Derby.


Yesterday, the Fremantle Dockers beat the West Coast Eagles in the derby which also happened to be the first ever footy game I watched live. It was awesome! To be surrounded by people who were passionate about something (even if it's football =) ) was wicked. I made a stupid comment like, "Guys, calm down! It's just a game!" and the look of terror on their faces and astonishment that I'd even say something like that was great! I even heard someone say, "Yeah, it's not a matter of life or death. It's way more important than that!"




No comments: